Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Have a sister in law not paying rent and we want gone. My

Customer Question

Have a sister in law not paying rent and we want gone. My brother did in dec. And we told her to start looking for another place. Tried to give her a little time after his death. There is no lease or contract. Sent her certified letter giving her 90 days to vacate. Sept 19th is the date. Parents on fixed income. What steps do I need to take please
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You say that there was no lease/contract. But did you have an oral agreement that she/your brother would pay rent?

Or, did they stay for free?