J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I had a old wachovia bank account that i never closed out

Customer Question

hello i had a old wachovia bank account that i never closed out that was charge off a 3rd party debt collector trying to sue me in this matter it happen 2008 now that wachovia has went bankrupt they were brought by Wells Fargo who advise me that the account has been purge and the original was 118 dollars but the third party creditor advise me of 1200.00
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. First, they must show proof of the debt to you. That is the original agreement between you and the bank along with the proof that the collector purchased the debt.

In addition, collectors can not attempt to sue a person for debts that are older than 4 years due. This is a major issue with the debt collector.

Do not admit to them you owe this debt and do not agree to make any type of payment as this will toll that statute of limitations. Bot***** *****ne is the collector is past the time to collect and you may want to tell them you believe that they are in violation of the Texas Fair Debt Collection Act and any further harassment will result in you retaining a lawyer to pursue and all remedies available to you.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).