CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

My condo HOA dues are expensive and continue to go up each

Customer Question

My condo HOA dues are expensive and continue to go up each year. I won't go into detail on the little outdoor work the property requires. Recently we have been assessed an additional mid-year amount of $1,400.00 to repair outdoor building paneling. As a condo owner - what are my right here? My understanding is the HOA owns the outside and I own the inside...when damage has occurred inside I have never been able to pursue the HOA for any cost reimbursement even when the damage started in another condo. What are the legal steps I can take? Where/when does it end? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately, while the condo association is responsible for the exterior of the building - this means that the association (all of you owners together) must pay for it, leading to the mid-year assessment.

You say that your separate interest (your condo) was damaged due to issues caused by a neighboring unit - you should have been compensated by the neighboring unit owner for this damage. (You may have had to sue them for it, and if it happened within the last 4 years you still can file suit, to collect for these damages).