Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I received a Section 8 housing voucher last week for

Customer Question

I received a Section 8 housing voucher last week for Bernalillo housing.. However, I have visited many apartments and because of my unique disability which is that I am chemically sensitive. Between the fragrant carpeting, or laminate wood fooring, to the paint on the walls, it is not looking good for me.HUD is insisting that I cannot live with a family member, however there clearly states in the rules, that there would be an exception if my disability is accommodated.My sister is also chemically sensitive and willing to give me a separate space in her home, however I would cost her money living here and she and her husband could not manage any additional costs as her health costs are large and my brother in law has prostate cancer and will be incurring many out of pocket costs as large as $25,000. Can you or anyone help me.P.S. I have a friend here in Bernalillo with Hud Housing who is homeless now because her apartment complex just pesticided. All of the apartment complexes cannot absolutely guarantee that they will not pesticide.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { }

Thank you for your question.

I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site. If you need local counsel, please use the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com

You will need to actually file a written appeal to HUD with proof of everywhere you visited that cannot accommodate your disability before they will agree to your demand. If you want an attorney to do so, we cannot do it and please contact one locally or go to your legal aid office for assistance.