Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I live behind a school. I have called twice in the past

Customer Question

I live behind a school. I have called twice in the past month to inform them that there drain run off is in very bad shape, Well here in Kansas City we got the storm of a lifetime, the drain completely eroded and drained thousands of gallons of water directly onto our lawn. Our basement flooded and we are left with a massive clean up. I am trying to get some help on who to contact. Insurance does not cover flooding. Please help me!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. I will review it. And then we can discuss it. Sound good?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Okay reviewing...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No

I am reviewing your question...

There are two issues (1) getting compensated for the damage; (2) making sure it does not happen again. Let me go into more detail.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you in Kansas city?

Drainage is a situation that involves multiple parties: the school may place blame on the city saying it is the city's responsibility; and the city may place blame on the school, saying its the school's responsibility. Any good lawyer would sue both of them so that they are both involved to rectify the problem. When there is a problem, notice is important. No. I am not in Kansas City.

Would you like to continue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
now what?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anything I can do?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if you think you can help

In this situation, there can also be the insurance company insuring your home or building. So, that is another party that has an interest. What would occur at this juncture is to demand the school rectify the situation and demand damages. An appraiser or adjuster could help with the cost of the damage. If there is no response, a lawsuit would follow. We can discuss further if you want.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Homeowners doesn't cover flood

Thanks for the additional information. So, if you retain an attorney, the attorney would most likely right a demand letter requesting the drain issue be fixed; and demanding damages for you. Most likely the school would reply one way or another if an attorney writes a letter. We can discuss more if you want.