Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I own a duplex rental property. Prior to my purchase, the

Customer Question

I own a duplex rental property. Prior to my purchase, the garage had been remodeled into a recreation room with a bathroom without a shower and approved by the city as such. When I purchased it, the rec room had been transformed into a studio unit with the addition of a shower stall and plumbing for a sink and stove without a permit to do so. It was rented out as a studio and had a tenant in it when I purchased it.I would like to make it a legal rental. How do I begin that process and what problems can I expect?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Have you contacted the local Planning and Zoning office to see if that type of use is permitted in the area?

Do you know what the current zoning is?