LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I have/had a contract with a builder to rebuild my home

Customer Question

I have/had a contract with a builder to rebuild my home after Hurricane Sandy
The builder committed suicide a few weeks ago. His workman are going after me to pay them what he owed them. In my contract it states that I would not be responsible for debts incurred by him. He also owes me money. I have written to the family with no response and suggested to the workman that they do the same.
Am I responsible.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon Rosemary,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are these people who are asking you for money the employees of the contractor, or are they licensed sub-contractors that did work for the contractor and were not paid?

Doug

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Employees of the contractor, I believe he paid them by the hour.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for the additional information.

Employees of the contract do not have the legal right to collect from you if they are not paid by the contractor or by his estate now that he is deceased.

Your only liability would be to sub-contractors that did work for which he didn't pay them, or material suppliers who provided supplied for the rebuilding of the home if they were not paid. They would have a right to file a lien against the property. But the employees of the contract have no lien rights and no ability to sue you for the wages that they were not paid.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug