Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

When I purchased my condo we could lease or rent our unit.

Customer Question

When I purchased my condo we could lease or rent our unit. That was appealing to me and was a major reason for purchasing. The association just voted and now prevents me from renting or leasing my property. Is this right?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I do understand your concern. I am sorry to say but they can. The Association can make rule changes and proceed in a manner which is in the best interest of the condo. It is not uncommon, for condos to restrict or at least limit, the amount of rental units, since sometimes condos think that the property will not be preserved as well, if it is tenant occupied. In a situation like this, when you bought it, you wanted to look into if this would have been something you were grandfathered into, in case there was a change or if you would be subject to, know it may happen. It is not illegal for them to do this but you should inquire as to any current leases in effect and how those will be handled and if/when they simply expire, the tenant will need to vacate. if owners were renting their units, I would think that they would have objected to this and tried to avoid passing this rule change.