Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My house closed in April. at that time due to NYS laws re:

Customer Question

my house closed in April. at that time due to NYS laws re: septic testing being done 30 days after occupancy $8,000 was to have been held in escrow, Testing was begun in May but for some reason septic was ont passed until August. Sellers attorney claims he is due back the $8000 but it was never given to my attorney to hold in escrow. They said sellers attorney put it on papers as a credit to me and apparently my attorny didnt catch it and didnt realise she never was goven the escrow money by the sellers attorney. So at closing I supposedly paid less that what I was supposed to. Everyone signed off on the amounts at closing. Now I am being told they want me to pay $3800 ($8000- seller concessions). I dont have it- I have borrowed money for closing to begin with and acted in good faith with the amounts I was told to bring to the table etc.. Sellers attorney is yelling lawsuits etc. What can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. I will review it. And then we can discuss it. Sound good?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. I'm really confused here.

How are you confused?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I dont understand after everyone went though all the papers- my lawyer, the sellers lawyer and the bank and they say now that there is an additional amount due as the seller lawyer made an error and listed an$ 8000 credit- instead of placing the money with my attorney in escrow.. I don't understand how I am responsible for his error when I acted in good faith paying what was requested. I also don't see how they can reasonably ask me to now place that sum on a credit card to make up for the attorneys errors. Please understand I don't want to shortchange any one but I don't have that money- I just bought a house- made roof plumbing repairs, have had car repairs etc.

I am sorry, but I think your question is not answerable through this type of service. It appears you should have an in-person consultation with another attorney in your local area to review the papers with you and discuss the details. A request or pressure to charge your credit card appears to be quite unusual in a real estate transaction. Would you like a referral number to an attorney? If you give me the county, I can look up a referral number for you.