Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I am selling a beach house in delaware and a lady does have

Customer Question

I am selling a beach house in delaware and a lady does have a signed contract for a set price. She now keeps changing the settlement date and giving a list of repairs, etc. she wants done plus a lower price. Can I just walk away from this without being sued?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Good morning Jerry. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Your prospective buyer may or may not have the right to terminate due to these repairs needed...it depends upon whether or not she's within an inspection period giving her the right to terminate. But, in either case, unless your contract is written differently than most: i) you have no obligation to accept her demands; and ii) she has no legal right to extend the closing date. In either case, you do have the right to terminate the contract and move on. It's only a question of whether or not you get to keep her earnest money deposit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!