Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Have quit claim deed to property in ohio. states that sister

Customer Question

have quit claim deed to property in ohio. states that sister and I hold the same together with all appurtenances thereunto belonging to or in any ways appertaining and all the estate, right title and interest lien equity and claim whatsoever of the Grantor of this deed etc. My mother who is the grantor died in 2013 and my sister who is joint on this quit claim deed died7 months ago. How can I get her name removed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

Does the deed say that you hold the property as joint tenants with rights of survivorship? IF so, you would have acquired ownership of the property immediately upon the death of your sister.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

But, if your deed doesn't say you own the property as joint tenants, then you would now own 1/2 and your sister's heirs at law would own the other 1/2.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

So, whether you need to do something --- or whether you can --- depends on what the deed says.