Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years

My son signed a lease with two other boys and changed his

Customer Question

My son signed a lease with two other boys and changed his mind about going to the college three weeks before they moved in. He never moved in and we have found someone to sublease his portion of the lease and the other two co-tenants and their parents are refusing to let us sublease. They said too bad they would not agree and we just needed to pay our part of the rent for the next year. Can they do that
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet. We don't know if it is something we should purse
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Do you have a copy of the lease you can upload so I can review the terms of it regarding sublease options?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i can get it and send it but it does say you can sublease if you let the property manager know and i did talk to them and they said they would just have to complete the application process but the other two are saying they refuse
Did they each sign a lease individually or did they sign it jointly? I understand their concerns about having an unknown party move in with them. But if they've signed leases individually, they probably don't have much say so in the matter. If the lease permits subleasing and the manager is willing to approve it, it's out of their hands. However, if they all three signed just one lease, that becomes a little more complicated.

Just following up to see if I can assist you further.