Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My landlords building is in foreclosure and I have a

Customer Question

My landlords building is in foreclosure and I have a business in that building that I rent from her. She is not trying to save building yet she still continued to collect rent until we stopped paying because of nonrepairs and the fact that the building is going to auction next month and our lease will be void after building is purchased at auction.She sent a demand letter looking for rent. Do we have to pay even though she has done nothing in months to repair bld plus our lease will be void and we loose our business and have to move elsewhere if new owner doesn't keep us. What rights do we have?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Have you given written notice to your landlord regrading the repairs?

You must Continue to pay your rent. Before ownership is transferred to a new owner tenants remain subject to the requirements of their lease agreements, including payment of rent to the landlord. In some cases, a receiver may be appointed to manage rental payments while the action is pending. If a receiver is appointed, tenants should receive proof of appointment and information on how to submit rental payments to the receiver instead of to the landlord.

During the pending action, the landlord is required to maintain the property as they would in the absence of any foreclosure action. So you need to give notice and then you will have all tenants rights under the law for any repairs and have a possibility to hold the landlord in breach and to terminate the lease.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?