Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I own my house in a single family residence. the County is

Customer Question

I own my house in a single family residence. the County is trying to say that my family does not qualify for single family but a group residential. they use terms like single housekeeping unit and are very vague... they do not require marriage or blood just do not feel we are a family. i am very close with these people closer then my sisters or brothers how do i prove we are a family. very vague. do i need something signed by them? sometimes i meet people from Church and sometimes i adver..tise for roommates. they are fining me civil penalty of $50,000. the neighborhood is predominantly white and i have family who are black and mexican too.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 3 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. Can you tell me the State that your question pertains to?

Laws vary from state to state, however, if you feel that you meet the requirement of a family you can file a Fair Housing Discrimination Complaint against the County. If you tell me where you are located I can provide you with a link for civil rights Attorneys in your area that provide FREE consultations? The other way to fight this is by speaking to a land use attorney that can real the county planning and zoning codes and ordinances and assist you in fighting the $50,000 penalty.