TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

If two people buy a house as joint tenants (used to be a

Customer Question

If two people buy a house as joint tenants (used to be a couple) and the other one has never paid anything and has just bought another house but won't move for awhile, what can said person do for her to pay half of mortgage in current house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again. Thanks for your patience.

Assuming the mortgage is in both owners' names, then the owner who has been paying can inform the other owner that he/she must begin paying half, and even file a lawsuit if it's not done. Winning for half of past payments may be difficult if it appears to the court that the past payments on behalf of the other owner were a gift, but at least going forward that can be put to rest by informing the owner that he/she must pay half, and I would do so in writing so that there is evidence going forward.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.