Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

My business is a nonprofit. I have four homes in use for

Customer Question

My business is a nonprofit. I have four homes in use for shelter/placement for teen boys. they are group homes. recently I was denied nonprofit status for land use. I appealed their decision. what do I need to fight my battle?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: ive been nonprofit since 2003 by irs standards
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What was the reason you were denied the non-profit status for land use?
Also, do you have an attorney for the appeal, since a non-profit corporation by law must be represented by an attorney in all legal proceedings, which includes an appeal of this nature, or it can be deemed unauthorized practice of law for an owner or board member to represent the corporation without a license to practice law?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No can't seemake to find one in this city..reason one....the property is listed in my name on the tax roll...reason for third was under construction..therefore when purchased under business name it wasn't being used
Thank you for your reply.
You are going to have to get a real estate law attorney either in your city or a nearby larger city to represent the non-profit on the appeal. You are going to have to present proof of your non-profit status to the tax assessor board and you have to prove that the purpose of the land use and construction is for your non-profit purpose to seek your exemption. You cannot represent the non-profit though, since the non profit corporation is a separate legal person and you are not licensed to practice law, you need to have an attorney representing the corporation in the hearing to present your proof on appeal.