Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I just received a message from my apt management saying they

Customer Question

I just received a message from my apt management saying they just noticed that 6 months ago my rent check bounced and now they want the money right away.
Also, for the last 3 months my apartment was barely tolerable for me to live in. They been doing total renovation and its been excruciating loud and obnoxious. I work night shift as a nurse and had many days i was unable to sleep, causing me to call in to work!
I feel i should be credited back the last 2-3 months of rent.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 9 months ago.

You can argue with them, but if they file suit for the bounced check, they can add significant penalties and attorneys fees. You have no guarantee that the judge will accept your explanation of the conditions, or their heirs, so you would be taking a big chance by continuing to refuse to pay the check. Safest course of action is to pay the check, and then make a claim to an offset for future rent unless the landlord makes the necessary repairs. They have to give you a certain amount of time to make the check good, and they usually do that by certified mail, so you don't have to worry about having to pay the checkthat quickly. I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here.