Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

I own a house in Brevard county city is Palm Bay FL. i have

Customer Question

i own a house in Brevard county city is Palm Bay FL. i have a partner also, we purchased it in 2004 my partner left the home in Oct 2008 coming up on 8 years now she hasnt spent a dime on this home since she left (we are not married) i have spent over $30.000 to keep up on the house including paying taxes and insurance, repairs, she now wants me to buy her out of the house! i dont think she is entitled to anything, i have been living in the home since day one and can show proof that most of the money came from my pocket.she thinks because i put her on the title she should get half of what the house is worth.i think Abandonment law should help me here. what do you think ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 3 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Can you tell me if your partners name is ***** ***** title (deed)? Is there a mortgage on the property and if so is she the co-borrower?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
HER NAME IS***** AND THERE IS NO MORTGAGE ON THE HOUSE ALL THE MONEY CAME FROM MY POCKET.

YES HER NAME IS***** AND THERE IS NO MORTGAGE ON THE HOUSE ALL THE MONEY CAME FROM MY POCKET.

I understand your frustration, I am just trying to ascertain the situation. When this type of situation occurs the issue is that she is a title owner and she is entitled to half of the house. Based on the information you provided she has not contributed to the home and only contributed a small portion to the expenses.

You certainly do not need to buy her out unless it was for a miniscule amount and she provided a quit claim deed transferring the full title to you.

The issue is that you both are on title. Title does not automatically change to your name even though she may be paying no expenses and abandoned the property. The court needs to intervene. You would file a partition action, where the court determines what percentage if any she may own.

Would you like me to provide you with information on partition actions as well as a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations that can assist you with the process?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please my zip code 32907

This is a link for attorneys in the area that provide FREE consultations http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/land-use-zoning/brevard-county/florida Please give me a few more minutes to provide you with detailed information on the process.

http://www.hallandalelaw.com/partition-lawsuit

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my wok I would appreciate. You do not need to provide a negative to obtain a refund. Thank you for your consideration.