Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

What language should be in a deed to create the actual life

Customer Question

What language should be in a deed to create the actual life estate, remainder to my son.
Can I state:...... I grant to myself, Ann ************, individually, of ************ Mass, a life estate and remainder to my son, ***********, with quitclaim covenants ... [followed by the property description].......
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is no mandatory language, per se. The more standard language reads:

This deed, made this _______________ day of _________________, in the year ______________, by me ____________________, of _________________, witnesseth, that in consideration of ___________, I, the said _____________, do grant unto ___________________, of ___________________, all that:

[legal description of property]

to hold during his life and no longer.

The verbiage of "to hold during his life and no longer" is widely recognized to be the standard for "life estate."

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.