Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I received a tenant estoppel certificate for a property that

Customer Question

I received a tenant estoppel certificate for a property that I am leasing. Should I sign it?? I just want to make sure that is not something that will affect me
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Read the estoppel certificate closely and make sure the information it contains is accurate. It basically sets out the term of your lease and states that neither you nor the landlord are in default, as far as you know.

If it is accurate it is ok to sign.

It means the landlord is either selling or refinancing. The estoppel certificate is a normal and customary part of the process. It may also be a breach of the lease if you refuse to sign it and it is accurate.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where it says that the lease contains no first right of refusal, option to expand, option to terminate or option to purchase except as follows: n/a. What does that mean?
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

That they do not have to offer you the right to purchase the property for the same terms if they get an offer to sell the property, that you have no right to additional space, no right to terminate the lease before the end of the stated lease term, and no right to purchase the property at pre-agreed terms.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?