Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Can I place a lien on a tenants home to collect rent on a

Customer Question

Can I place a lien on a tenants home to collect rent on a office/warehouse they rent from us?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Utah
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: They are in arrears by 2 months
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

Not exactly. To get a lien on a person's home or, for that matter, on any property which has not had a specific written lien provided, would require that you file a lawsuit, serve the person, and then get a judgment with that judgment then being recorded in the land records and acting as a lien against all property owned by the debtor.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.