Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I asked a question once before and my landlord has agreed to

Customer Question

Hello. I asked a question once before and my landlord has agreed to let me out of my lease but I had to give another 30 day notice and pay for the month of August as well. I had a $700 test to find out if I had exposure and illness from the mold. It turns out that my numbers are very high for indication of mycotoxin. If this is the case would I be successful in suing for my deposit, the last month rent for my second 30 day notice, moving expenses and other expenses incurred due to being forced from my home as well as the cost of the test?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I do Sue for damages what kind of attorney would I seek out?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Typically mold that adversely affects a tenant's health is considered to be a breach by the LL of the implied warranty of habitability. Any consequences flowing from that breach such as medical bills and moving expenses would be recoverable. If you have not damaged anything and left the premises in the same condition that you received it, except for normal wear and tear, then you should also get your deposit back. Finally, you would still need to pay rent on a pro rated basis for the days that you actually stayed on the property.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.