Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

I live in a condo and there are several owners not paying

Customer Question

Hello. I live in a condo and there are several owners not paying their dues. This has left the community in bad shape. It has gone as far as the association not being able to pay for bills, maintenance, and repair. Now the water company is threatening to turn off our water. They have placed a lien on each unit. The building has a master meter. So there is no way for the water company to shut off the water to those not paying. The water will be shut off to the entire building. I have been paying my condo fee on time. I want out of this mess. I am wondering what are my options. Will this lien affect my credit and selling my unit? My unit is in DC
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. I may take a moment to research or clarify issues. Okay?

Let me know if you are on line. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am online now
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 month ago.

Hi Rochelle: Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately, a lien on your unit can affect both your credit score and the ability to sell your unit. Usually, in these situations, the board will resolve it by going after the unit holders not paying their bills. Possibly by now they resolved the issue rather than risking the utility company to turn off the water. The only other solution is for you to go to court to claim that the lien is erroneous on your unit because you have been paying your bill if the utility company refuses to remove the lien from your unit. If you have any more questions, let me know. Best regards.