texlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their real estate questions and experienced in real estate litigation.

My landlord signed a new contract for the apartment I was

Customer Question

My landlord signed a new contract for the apartment I was vacating before my lease expired. Am I off the hook as soon as he/she signed the new contract for the same property?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  texlawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

The answer to your question really depends on your lease agreement. Most of the time, there is an early termination penalty, plus you are on the hook for the rent until it re-leases. In your case, you would only be responsible for the early termination penalty since it's been re-leased. Again, it all depends on the actual lease, but that's how most I've seen operate.

Expert:  texlawyer replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any questions? If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.