Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

We gave easement across our property to my sister and her

Customer Question

We gave easement across our property to my sister and her husband. Now she is giving public access across our land so people can go fishing on another persons land. she is not home when they come. What is happening is that the public is crossing our land to access two very good fishing holes that are not on my sisters land or mine. Can she tell these people they can use our road.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Montana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: When we gave my sister easement on this road, we didn't own it at the time. We thought we did. It belonged to the county. It was a county easement. Three years after we bought the land we went in and bought the easement from county. Since we bought the easement from the county we did not give anybody easement across this road to anybody. Would my sister still have easement across this road?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Are these people her guests?

When you granted the easement, did you limit it to only her and her immediate family?