How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36240
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks. We just moved into a home in Temecula, CA in April.

Customer Question

Hi, thanks. We just moved into a home in Temecula, CA in April. Last month, there was a leak in the garage and my one sons room caused by poor air conditioning unit installation. On line 32 of our lease it states we can leave the property, or we are subject to less rent. We pay $2,250 for a 4bed 2.5 bath house, is it reasonable to ask the landlord for a credit on rent of $250 for the remaining months of our lease? We have been without A/C, we have workers, the house is a mess as they thought it was master shower, we lost a room and bathroom during this, they sent in a drying company that ran dryers for 4 days, our electric bill is outrageous this month.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Temecula, CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


I think that is more than reasonable if those areas have been unusable and you have been without AC for that long. You are paying the full rent for a usable property with AC and you aren't getting that. So I would find that entirely reasonable as well as you asking for some contribution to your electric bill due to their usage.


As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...





Related Real Estate Law Questions