CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

In R I when a mobile home park has been sold, what

Customer Question

In R I when a mobile home park has been sold, what percentage can they raise the lot rent
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?
Customer: R.I. 1986
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No just got the new lease
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My son is renting a mobile home also which he gave the previos owner a security deposit , now the new owner is asking for the same security deposit, whose resonsibility is it to give back the previous deposit
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

The seller should have transferred the security deposit to the buyer.

(The security deposit does not belong to the park owner, it is the property of the tenant, and is held by the buyer as security against damage - so the seller is liable to your son for "conversion" - the civil equivalent of theft, and the buyer should be pursuing the seller for this money under the purchase contract).

Your son does not owe a second deposit.

Regarding rent increase, the seller must give 60 days notice of any rent increase, there is no numerical limit on this increase, but if the amount is deemed "excessive" there is an appellate procedure that he can use.

You can find information on rent increases and appeals here:

You can find information on mobile home park regulation (along with a complaint form) in the state of Rhode Island here: