LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

I am in Orange county - North Carolina. I appealed my

Customer Question

I am in Orange county - North Carolina. I appealed my landlord's decision to evict me in may. We have district court tomorrow, what happens if I lose? Can I stay a writ of possession? How much time before I have to move?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: North Carolina, Chapel Hill
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes, I have district court tomorrow on my appeal to her notice to evict.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, other that what I asked/
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you lose in court tomorrow the court will issue a judgment of eviction. If you do not file an appeal, then 10 days after the judgment of eviction, the landlord will then have to file a request for entry of a Writ of Possession. Once the Writ has been signed by the judge the landlord will need to give the Writ to the sheriff to serve upon you or post to your rental unit at the front door. The Sheriff has 7 days to serve the Writ and after you are served, but after it is served you have only about 48 hours to remove all of your things and vacate the property.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,