Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

My neighbor across the street erected a mailbox on my

Customer Question

My neighbor across the street erected a mailbox on my property because the local USPS only delivers on our side of the street. We asked him to erect it about 8' East of where he put it so that it wouldn't interfere with our mulberry bush or cutting the grass between the bush and the mailbox. He disregarded our request and erected it there anyway. Now he has broken many branches within the mulberry bush that were hanging over his mailbox. He did not ask, he did not even approach us, just did it. I went out afterward and cut the branches he broke to spare the bush, which is a favorite of the neighborhood kids. The kids come by and pick mulberries from time to time.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin Sauk county
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, don't know what my rights are.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He is trespassing on your property and you need to give him written notice to remove it from your property and put it where you granted permission or you will remove the box and/or take legal action for trespassing against him and seek damages and court orders to remove the mail box. If he refuses to do so, then even though you could legally remove it and put it where you granted permission, it could cause him to try legal actions against you, so suing him for trespassing would be the proper way to get it moved.