How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a tenant for 13 year on a 3 family building my landlord

Customer Question

hi , i am a tenant for 13 year on a 3 family building my landlord ask me to leave bc he needs the apt for his son , on this 13 years he only gave my 2 lease for 1 year agreement . my last lease expire on december 31, is hard for me to move bc aim a single mom of 3 girls, and right now on bushwhack ny the rent is high my current month rent is 1500 a month. what can i do if i can't find any apt
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: brooklyn ny
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i am on public assistant the city pay for my rent 950 a month
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Just to be clear, you are already receiving assistance from the State? I understand you want to stay in the area but have you looked outside of the area for something a little more affordable?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cant bc of my school daughter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Needs to be close where i am right now
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 7 months ago.

I understand. If you can not find an apartment in the school zone and vacate, when the landlord asks, then they would have a legal right to proceed through the court and seek to obtain an eviction against you. As long as they have a right to ask you to leave, you do need to comply and if they are unwilling to wait and cooperate with you, they can decide to evict. If they obtain the eviction and you remain, then the Sheriff could come by and remove you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 7 months ago.

Yes, it is hard. The issue and the reason why the landlord may be able to do this is because there is no lease in effect. If there was a lease, then you would be allowed to stay until it expires. However, if they want to sell it or allow another party to live there, they legally can.

Related Real Estate Law Questions