Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.

The original declarant of our condo association went

Customer Question

the original declarant of our condo association went bancrupt. I builder has purchased the balance of the land from the bank. the builder is now building the balance of the side by side duplex style ranch condos. Units are being sold without complete landscaping, driveways, etc. some members of our association think the BOD can block the sale of these units until everything is complete. Can the BOD block these sales?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: wisconsin
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. No, the BOD cannot block such sales unless (1) the HOA is active and (2) there specifically exists a bylaw that allows the BOD to block the sale in such a situation. But even if the HOA is active, then unless there is a bylaw that specifically disallows the sales, it can happen.

But the HOA may pass a bylaw that states that no home may be sold without completed landscapes and driveways, etc. If so, then it would be binding unto the builder since he is an "owner" under HOA. The matter is only pushing it through the HOA to include in official bylaws.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.