Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My ex-landlord sued me for damages related to cigarette

Customer Question

My ex-landlord sued me for damages related to cigarette smoke damage. Is the landlord able to sue me again on the same property for damages not related to smoke damage?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

Could you explain a little more?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Landlord sued for smoke damage in small claims court. If he wins, can he sue me again for damages not related to smoke damage? Home became infested with mold and required frequent cleanings. Bathroom surrounding started breaking down- can I be sued for that? There was a problem with the septic system and he replaced it after we moved out. Can he sue us to replace the septic system?

Thank you for the information.

The Landlord cannot sue you for normal wear and tear. The Landlord cannot sue you for damages to the bathroom and septic system if you did not cause the damages--the damages were from normal wear and tear.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand I can not be sued for normal wear and tear. I just want to know if it allowable by law to sue a tenant for the same property more than once?

The answer is no.