Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

My HOA on Virginia wants me to down my bee hives. They state

Customer Question

My HOA on Virginia wants me to down my bee hives. They state that the law in our HOA " the following section from the Terra Grande Policy and Information Manual applies: “Section 11. No animals, livestock or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on any Lot, except that two dogs, two cats or other household pets may be kept, provided they are not kept, bred, or maintained for commercial purposes.” Therefore, your hives will need to be removed as soon as you’re able to make it happen. "
Can they force me to remove the bee hives. They are not for commercial purposes.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also,occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. I don't like being the bearer of bad news - but based on the language you've sent your HOA can force you to remove your hives. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Id' be happy to clarify anything. If not, please take a moment to rate positively so that I receive credit for working with you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can they force me? Is it the fact that there are more than '2' animals? Or because they believe this is for commercial puposes?

It's because bees do not constitute "household pets" nor are they the dogs and cats that are permitted.

Also, as a side note, they can very easily claim they are hazardous to other tenants - but even if they forgo that argument your HOA is clear in that "two dogs, two cats or other household pets" are the only permissible animals. I'm sorry - I don't love giving bad news but both you and I will feel bad if you end up having to go to court and you have to pay the assorted legal fees of defending what is essentially as clear cut a statement as you can get.