Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I live with my daughter and son in law and the three

Customer Question

I live with my daughter and son in law and the three grandchildren. I technically own the home and pay the mortgage even though they pay 2/3 of the mortgage payment. I then made a warranty deed adding my daughter and son in law to the deed. I had heard that she will have to pay taxes on the full amount of the house . Is this true?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 8 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

I am ab Arizona Licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you. When you state that you basically own the home doe you mean that the title/deed is in your name alone?

Sorry for the typo "I am an Arizona..."

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The original deed in in my name only. The warranty deed I did afterwards in in all three of our names
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you there????

There is nothing in AZ that triggers your daughter to be responsible for real estate taxes. You may be referring to the addition as a gift that she may be taxed on, however, you all have been making payments and you each own a third. Someone is providing incorrect information to you. Who told you this?

Yes I am here it takes me a minute to type my response. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok thanks

Where are you hearing this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not real estate taxes. Inheritance taxes. State and Federal

That you as that was the only thing I could possibly imagine.

Since all three of you are on title and have been sharing the costs this is not an inheritance as all three of you own the home (based on the deed transfer) and you all contribute. When you recorded the deed adding your daughter and son-in-law it was not a gift you just added them for the purpose of all of you having an ownership interest since all were making payments.

Just to make sure the deed was recorded properly can you tell me the county the home is located in so I ab provide a link for a local Attorney that provides FREE consultations to review the recording to assure that this is not showing up as anything other them added your daughter and son-in-law to the title.?

Do you have any additional questions for me today?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No thanks

Would you like a link for a local attorney?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, your previous contributor has opted out.
Did you have any additional questions you needed answered? If not, please do not forget to leave positive feedback for your expert, as the experts are not employees of this site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless the customer leaves positive feedback for the expert.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No thanks
best wishes to you