WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I've lived in a quadplex for 4 mo. Now and we mail our rent

Customer Question

I've lived in a quadplex for 4 mo. Now and we mail our rent to the landlord in Washington DC every month. The second month is wqs returned to us in 3 weeks due to unknown PO box #.. Now after paying rent on time it again is lost in the mail and we got a 3 day eviction notice.. Is this legal? First she gave us a 2wk eviction notice due to us letting our daughter stay with us on a temporary basics. The property mgn lady isn't license in the state of Colorado...what can i do? Please! Help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 3 months ago.

The landlord has no right to give you an eviction notice under these circumstances. In fact, you landlord is in breach of the lease, because every lease requires that the landlord keep you informed of the correct address to which you are to pay your rent.

Here you have made good faith efforts to pay the rent on time and to the address to which you were instructed. I suggest that you put the rent aside in an account to show a good faith attempt to pay it and respond to the eviction notice by going to court and explaining the situation to the judge.

The judge will likely reprimand the landlord for this reprehensible behavior and instruct the landlord to rescind the eviction notice and give you proper instructions to pay the rent. You are protected by your rights under the lease, pursuant to Colorado law. If you incur court costs or legal fees, including the fees for this Just Answer, you should ask the judge to award you costs against the landlord.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about the original eviction notice in regards ***** ***** our daughter stay on a sort tetemporary term?

Since the landlord has breached the lease, the landlord has "unclean hands" and cannot assert any claims against you in respect of your daughter. You are in very good shape on this matter, and cleared to win.