Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

What does Virginia law require to be included in the by laws

Customer Question

What does Virginia law require to be included in the by laws of of housing cooperative?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is no law in Virginia that specifically deals with COOPERATIVE BYLAW requirements. However since the cooperative is a corporate structure, it provides for the same common legal topics as a corporation. That is: Membership, classes of membership, voting rights of members, meeting parliamentary procedure, proxies, Board structure and voting, removal of directors/officers, nominations, vacancies, quorums, capital, assessments, ability of the cooperative to evict, and so on. A good example can be seen HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.