Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I had my air conditioner worked on this week. I had a place

Customer Question

I had my air conditioner worked on this week. I had a place come not having looked into it because my house was at 93 degrees all night and I was working on no sleep. Come to find out they have the worst rating on the BBB you can get. I had no contract with them and never received an estimate. I paid them $300.00 for coming out. Then 6 hours later a man I hadn't seen came in and said I need a check for $2,395.00. You can have an entire brand new unit put in for $2,000.00. I said wait a minute, this sounds way too high and I want a list of what you did. I am on disability and this 6' 250 lb. man is standing in front of me pounding on the counter I need a check for this amount and what we did will be mailed to you. I live alone and was scared so I wrote the check. I have since put a stop payment on the check. Am I obligated to pay them when I didn't have a contract or an estimate?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No - please help me!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. Let's begin. Okay?

They would have to provide you an invoice for services of what they did. If you did not agree to it, in advance, you can challenge it. Depending on the size of an air conditioner these day, you can get one even under $200.00. Hiring someone to fix or install one should be a reasonable price.