Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

If the second lien holder repossessed a recreational vehicle

Customer Question

If the second lien holder repossessed a recreational vehicle an sells it at auction in the state of Kentucky do they have to notify an pay the first lien holder before they receive any money
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Yes, the first lien holder sits in first priority for payment on the RV and is paid before the second would be paid. This is because the first lien holder has first claim to be paid before any other creditor or lien holder. Any lien holder should be listed on the title to the vehicle and would need to be notified by the repossessing entity so they would have an opportunity to protect their interest at any sale.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a side by side not an RV an the first lien holder is on the Tennessee title but not on the Kentucky one but it was purchased in Kentucky an both lien holders are from Kentucky does this still apply

Yes, if the second lienholder knows about the first one, then they have a legal duty to notify them or the first could then sue the second to have any sale set aside as a violation of their procedural due process rights to notice of any action taken against any collateral that they have an interest in.

.

.

thanks