Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

My Situation I have owned my house for the last 20 years.

Customer Question

My Situation
I have owned my house for the last 20 years. Two years ago I let my boyfriend get on the mortgage, he put $50,000 down and we refinanced the mortgage. Since that time, I realize I made a big mistake in letting him on the mortgage. Is there anyway I could buy him out without it costing me $50,000? The house is currently worth about $240,000 and if we sold it, we would only walk away with approximately 30,000 each and I don't want to do that. I want to keep the house if I possibly can.
Can he force me to sell? Is it true since I have 18 years of equity in the house that he would only get two years of the equity.
I pay all the bills, his name is ***** ***** any utilities. He pays me $800 a month with everything included.
I live in Bensalem, PA
Also, just because he was put on the mortgage, does that mean he is on the deed, too.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Is he currently just on the mortgage or the mortgage and the title or both?

Also, do you and the boyfriend have any sort of written cohabitation or co-tenancy agreement?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If he is not on title then he can not force you to do anything, unless you have some sort of written agreement stating otherwise.

He has no rights in this; only obligations (to pay the lender).