Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I moved my fitness center business into my current location

Customer Question

I moved my fitness center business into my current location back in Nov 2015. I started to build out a couple offices and frame in for a couple showers. At that time I went to the city to get a permit. The city inspector came to my location and didn't like that I built the 2 offices and frame for shower.
The inspector could not find record of blue prints and the new owner of the building didn't have any so he made me hire an architect to make new one's (cost me $5000).
After I had them complete the Inspector made me apply to Met Council because I'm a fitness center moving into a warehouse space. Met council had no record on anyone paying SAC fees when the building was built so they are charging me $56,000 in fees. The building was built in 1974. The city also wants me to bring building up to Fitness center code.
Air Exchange
Sprinklers added in 3000 sq ft
change two bather rooms to code.
Take out all work that I did
complete fire wall between my business and the next door business.
I have until the end of the month to pay fees and few months after that to complete remodel or they will lock the doors.
The owner said he would loan me 30K if I come up with another 30k, but no banks will loan me 30k because its for city fees.
My question is: Is all of this on me or landlord?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Does your lease put the burden of code compliance and permitting on the tenant or landlord, with regard to tenant improvements?