Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I paid my rent through an online service, which

Customer Question

i paid my rent through an online service, which was the only option for a credit card payment. Rent is due on the 1st, and since the manager's office was closed by the time I got home, I found the flyer in our welcome package for the, followed the instruction, and paid the rent plus a 43.99$ charge for using this service..On the 5th, I received a phone call stating that my rent had not been received. I explained that I used Paylease, and emailed my manager a copy of the receipt. The manager responded to the email, asking me to contact about the payment. said to give the manage the transaction number to their accountanting service the transaction number for my payment so that they could track the transaction, and track/find the missing payment. The manager apparently tried to contact me several time over the past two weeks to tell me that they could not resolve the issue through their accounting service, which I did not receive due to phone issues, changing phone carriers, then changing phones 2 times. However, the assistant manager had been at my apartment on the 12th regarding my satelitte installation, and never mentioned the rent issue.
Yesterday, there was a 72 hour eviction notice attached to ny door. I immediately walked over to the manager's office to ask what was going on. even though I paid my rent through the company they provided for credit card payment, the communication between Paylease and the accountant could not be resoolved... but I have no proof if any attempt was made to track the payment. I had to pay my rent with a check right there, and was charged a late fee as well.
My credit card company will not remove the extra charge without a formal dispute filing. On top of all this, I still do not have the official copy of my lease agreement. They can attach an eviction notice to my door, but the lease agreement I have been waiting on for a month. When we signed the lease, the assistant manager said that the manager would have to sign off on it, and would get it to me as soon as it was signed off on. What are my rights on the double paid rent, the late fee, and the lease agreement I have yet to receive? I paid my rent on the 1st, with a receipt as proof, with the company they provided for credit card payments. They may not have even attempted to contact Payless for all I know...
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. Let's begin. Okay?

If you are still in need of services, please let me know. Thank you.