Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

A contractor wants 20000 dollars from me because i cancelled

Customer Question

A contractor wants 20000 dollars from me because i cancelled a contract. Now he says he will put a lien on my house. He has not done any physical work but says he is owed for his time. Most of the stuff he claims is made up or exaggerated. Can he put a lien on my house ?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No permits have been issued
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

First, don't worry about the threat of any lien. If the contractor were to place a lien, he would not be able to do anything with it unless he filed a suit and prevailed in that suit. Given your facts, he would not prevail, and the court would simply order the lien released. And, if the contractor doesn't timely pursue the suit, the lien will lapse automatically. What you want to do is raise the stakes on your contractor so he understands he has skin in the game. Inform the contractor that should he be stupid enough to place this lien, you will file your own suit for damages for him impacting your title while the lien is in place and due to his intentional, fraudulent, and willful misconduct in filing the lien and trying to charge you for fraudulent charges, so you will be asking not only for any actual damages you've suffered, but also punitive damages. In my experience, that will typically end this.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!