Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am an owner and want to rent my place. In the by-laws of

Customer Question

Hi, I am an owner and want to rent my place. In the by-laws of our association the only "rule" they have is "Condos may not be leased or rented for a period of less than 6 months or more than 12 months". The Board is telling me that this statement also means:
1. I can't lease my unit more than once a year (they say calendar year). So...If I lease in March for 6 months, I can't lease again until the next March.
2. I can't have 2 6 month leases in a calendar year.
I can't believe their interpretation will hold up in court, but wanted to get guidance. Thanks...Bill Christie
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Do the Bylaws state that it is based on a calendar year?

.

Do they say you can't lease more than once a year?

.

I don't care what the Board is telling you...are these restriction in the Bylaws specifically or in your CCRs?.

.

.

thanks