LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

I am currently renting a mobile home on month to month

Customer Question

I am currently renting a mobile home on month to month lease, and recently there has been a large water pipe burst that has caused sever damage to the property. I was informed by the landlord that I was not allowed to move out because it would be breaking the lease, I was still responsible for paying rent in the meantime and there would be no reimbursement for the time that I could not inhabit my home. None of this seems legal and I would like to move out. What are my options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are entitled to a rebate of the pro-rata rent for the time that the rental was not habitable due to the flooding and if your landlord will not pay you or credit you with the value of the lost rent due to being displaced, you can sue the landlord in small claims court and get the money that way.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,