CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

What is the California building code requiring all gas

Customer Question

What is the California building code requiring all gas insert fireplaces that are being installed must have the sealed glass fronts on them? They apparently cannot have doors on the fireplace that open and expose the gas logs.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

California Green Building Standards Code 4.503.1

This code section requires that fireplaces circulate exterior air (not interior air) - this separates the two in an effort to reduce inefficient HVAC operations in the room by the home's primary system, and to try to prevent fire conditions in the home.