Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

In Texas, if the landlord terminates the lease due to

Customer Question

In Texas, if the landlord terminates the lease due to default by the tenant, is the tenant responsible for the rent for the remainder of the term
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Good morning Carl. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

The tenant is responsible for the unpaid rent for the remainder of the term SUBJECT TO the landlord's duty to mitigate. What that means is that even the tenant was in default, the landlord has a legal affirmative duty to mitigate the damages by using reasonable efforts to re-lease the property. Once the property is re-leased, or if the landlord does not use reasonable efforts to re-lease, the tenant would then be off the hook for further obligation. BUT, the tenant is responsible for the costs to the landlord of re-leasing the property.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!