CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

I bought a house in Manchester ct there was a shed on the

Customer Question

I bought a house in Manchester ct there was a shed on the property that the mls sheet claimed the shed didn't go with the house. The owner of the shed claimed he did work for the previous owner I didn't agree at first but said I would give him 1,000$ he came by and I gave him 260$ then he pulled out a piece of paper saying I would pay him the rest of the money in two weeks. I signed it then later decided I didn't want to do buisness with him cause I found out that he never really had a place to put the shed because he lived in an apartment complex and I questioned that he owned it to begin with. I lost a judgement in small claims court because I signed that paper but doesn't he still have to furnish proof that he owns it to begin with?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of your loss in small claims court, but unfortunately, by entering into the contract with the other party you made an agreement to pay for the shed - this agreement is going to take precedent over any obligation by the seller to provide you additional proof of ownership.

If you had demanded proof of ownership prior to entering into the contract, you could have dealt with the matter at that time, but it is too late to do so now, he has both the contract, and now a judgment (which he can enforce with wage garnishments, bank levies, and placing a lien against your property if you do not pay).