RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

I have reenter from my landlord in Volusia Co Fl for 13

Customer Question

I have reenter from my landlord in Volusia Co Fl for 13 months now. He has repeatedly allowed repair issues to go unfixed. Some of the main issues are rats entering home and destruction caused by them of walls etc. Roaches and toilets going months unrepaired . I this month have withheld rent openly to him asking for these NECESSARY repairs to be done. He replied with anger and told me to pay rent and vacate premises by Sept 1st. Which I refused. He came yesterday and drywalled 4 of the rats holes and repaired 1 of 4 toilets then asked for rent. I refused until all repairs were completed and the home exterminated for roaches. He texted me today (which I've kept our communication to only texting now) and said he's filing eviction today if rent isn't paid by 2 p.m. what can I do to protect myself and children?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. Before he files for eviction, he would need to provide you with the proper 3 day notice to cure or vacate. Until he does that, he can not proceed with the eviction. If he does that, then you can respond to him, in writing, advising of the issues and then go to the clerk of court, and inquire with them about depositing the rent with them, until this is either fixed and the case is dismissed or the Judge rules on the matter. Even if he files for eviction, you will be given a right to appear and be heard, so you can defend it as needed.

Has he provided any notice to you, in writing?