Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

I qualify under the fair housing disability act and I am

Customer Question

I qualify under the fair housing disability act and I am still being charged pet rent for a dog that was prescribed by my doctor. I would like to break my lease and be compensated for all of the pet rent they have charged me
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will attempt to help you on your question. First, some questions. Do you have a written lease? Does it mention the pet? Did you provide the property documentation to the landlord for the FHA pet? Why do you want to break your lease?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I brought all of the required documentation and they did not charge the pet charge but they are also not suppose to charge pet rent also. It is a written lease with the provision that I have to pay$2,000 to break it. I feel that I have been unfairly charged and that is why I want to break my lease. That and I am giving up on renting and am looking for a home

Hello. So you are saying they are charging rent for the pet? Is that in the lease also?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is in the lease that there is a pet deposit and pet rent but they are not suppose to charge me for either-They wavied the pet deposit and were suspose to waive the pet rent also
And they arecharging me . What can I do to get out of this lease- And if I cant and I have to pay the $2,000 will I be able to pay monthly without it affecting my credit. This is the only way I would be able to pay them
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
are you there?

Well. It would seem that you should bring to their attention that you have been overpaying and should have a credit for the overcharges going forward. If this is an issue for you and you want move, you would have to clam that either the lease is null and void because of the overcharges, or they breached the lease therefore it is no longer valid. If you leave and they demand the $2,000 and you had to go to court, these are the type of arguments you would have to make.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to get the ball rolling I would like a official letter draw up by an attorney stating what you just said and that is the fact that the lease would be null and void and I also need something stating that I am to be compensated for the overcharges

Hello Jeana: That sounds like a good idea. You can contact a local attorney to see how the attorney can help you. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also can you verify that it is a fact that person with a disability who qualifies under the fair housing act is exempt from being charged for a service anaimal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also you didn't answer payment. What is the procedure do I just move out and refuse to pay the termination fee? I need an attornet to draft a letter. If I had to go to court what would that involve? Do I just move out or what?

It is best for you to discuss the procedure with your attorney when you go to the attorney to draft the letter. You can either go to court now to get the court to agree with you that you terminate the lease; or if you leave, the landlord could sue you for the $2,000 and you would have to defend yourself. Speak with your attorney about the plusses and minuses.

Here is the webpage explaining the FHA and service pets from the government site

Good luck and Best regards!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought I was talking to an attorney. It was my understanding that I would be able to handle this with you. I paid extra and did not get anywhere with this conversation. What I need is an attorney!!! I thought you were not to be rude but this gets me nowhere and does nothing to help

I am an attorney. But Just Answer is for information purposes only. You would have to hire a local attorney to represent you. I am sorry you think that the information and time I spent with you was not helpful in any way.