Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

Me and my married boyfriend of 7 years are purchasing a

Customer Question

Me and my married boyfriend of 7 years are purchasing a house. Trying to figure out a way to protect my interest.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: FL4
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not a divorce lawyer but left a msg for a real estate atty
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He has been separated for 7 years but that has no bearing in the state of FL
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
I will be happy to answer your question.
Please note that any information is provided for educational purposes only!

Are you purchasing the real estate as joint tenants?

Are you only concerned about protecting your 50% interest in this house?

Why is boyfriend still legally married?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Closing in 2 weeks. Yes. He is afraid of giving all his money to lawyers and he feels guilty. I know, I should have high-tailed it oout there.

Thank you for your follow up.

Well, generally, if the property is jointly owned, then both owners would have equal property rights, which would generally amount to 50% for each of the two owners, so in case of divorce, generally, the spouse of the joint owner can only attempt to pursue claim for the joint owner's share of interest, however, if that happens in many cases, the only option would be for the other joint owner to buyout the interest of the joint owner who has a spouse's claim against his interest in the jointly owned property or the court might force the sale of the jointly owned property to satisfy joint owner's spouse's claim, if the court established that the spouse of the joint owner is in fact entitled to her spouse's interest in the jointly owned property.

Unfortunately, generally, there is not much else that can be done when it comes to one person purchasing a house as joint owners with legally married person.

I wish you the best of luck!